E-commerce (electronic commerce or EC) is the buying and selling of goods and services, or the transmitting of funds or data, over an electronic network, primarily the Internet. These business transactions occur either business-to-business, business-to-consumer, consumer-to-consumer or consumer-to-business. The terms e-commerce and e-business are often used interchangeably. The term e-tail is also sometimes used in reference to transactional processes around Online retail.
Online shopping is getting more and more popular with every passing day. A number of businesses are coming up with their e-stores. Besides, there are the web-based businesses that operate fully on the World Wide Web. As a result, there is a growing need for shopping cart designs and development.
E-commerce businesses may employ some or all of the following:
- Online Shopping web sites for retail sales direct to consumers
- Providing or participating in online marketplaces which process third-party business-to-consumer or consumer-to-consumer sales
- Business-to-Business buying and selling
- Gathering and using demographic data through web contacts and social media
- Business-to-business electronic data interchange
- Marketing to prospective and established customers by e-mail or fax (for example, with newsletters)
- Engaging in pretail for launching new products and services